Tuesday 26 May 2015

Czeched into Prague

Being the 'comedian' I am, first thing I did on arrival into Prague was to 'czech-in' to Prague on Facebook!

We hopped off the train in Prague and headed for the hotel. It was only a short walk but mainly up hill and we were carrying our bags with the sun shining down on us, so it turned into a hot sweaty out of breath walk - lush! We czeched into the hotel, czeched out our room then headed out. For 'market research' purposes we czeched out the price and taste of an ice cream sundae! After a little stroll we found a place called 'pizza colleseum' to eat at. I had a very yummy risotto :) We then decided to Czech out the cocktails on offer in Prague. We found a nice little bar where they were showing ice hockey on the TV which i watched while enjoying cocktails. My cocktail cost the equivalent of £2.70 - happy days!! :)

The next day we decided to stroll around the city, czeching out the sights! In Wenceslas Square there were boards with the squares history on which i enjoyed reading. On one of the bridges across the river we came across a band playing music from films and the charts. They were really good and you could tell they were really passionate and enjoying every minute :) When on our strolls we were minding our own business when out the corner of our eye we saw many painted bricks. This captured our attention and on further inspection we realised it was for a Czech charity that helps to give those with a mental handicap get into employment and live a fulfilling life. Mental illness is something close to our hearts so we decided to contribute. We paid a small donation and in return we got to paint our own brick. Me and Jen decided to paint ours with the Czech flag, the English flag and our names. We enjoyed doing this and I felt proud that my small donation will help a worthy cause.
Our finished brick and posing with our brick on the wall
We decided that due to the cheapness of Prague we were going to take advantage to eat well during our time here. So far we've had many meals of croissants and brioches and to be honest we are bored of that! So 2 meals a day it was!! I definitely put a few pounds on during my Prague stay.

Our second full day in Prague we went in search of Prague castle. It was at the top of a steep hill where we had to climb 200+ (yes I counted) steps! At least the view from the top was impressive. By now it was lunch time so we found a Czech pub. I ordered sausage and chips - one of my favourite meals. Turns out the sausage was rank, so I left it thinking nothing of it. There I was in my own little world waiting for Jen to finish when a voice goes 'what do you not like about the sausage?', taken by surprise I stated that it was the marinade, however she claimed there was no marinade despite there obviously being a red marinate on it as my plate turned red from it. She insisted on getting me another sausage to try but I said not to worry. Once Jen was done eating I asked for the bill, however I was told to wait as they were cooking me some more sausages. Sausages arrived in front of me, they were the standard hotdog sausages which unconveniently I don't like! I forced myself to try a mouthful which made me heave before awkwardly notifying the staff I didn't like this option neither. The waiters reply was 'reallllyyyy', yes really!, I couldn't pay and escape quick enough! I was then in a bit of a weird mood for an hour or so as I didn't enjoy the confrontation and it took me a while to snap out of the mood. A walk through the castle grounds and gardens in the sun soon cheered me up though :)
Looking down onto Prague from the castle
In the evening we decided to act our age and hit the town - to a jazz club, where I think I may have been the youngest in the building. I bought a baileys and sat happily listening to a piano, drum and cello produce some lovely jazz music. I found it very relaxing and it was a good evening :)
The following day it was time to book a flight home for at the end of this European adventure. Up until this point we didn't know when we would return (we knew what week but not what date). We also didn't have a definitive end point. In the end we decided to book a flight home from Catania in Sicily. It was weird to think we suddely had an end - everything on this trip up to this point was last minute and spontaneous only booking up our next port of call a day or 2 before arrival. It was sad to think we suddenly had an end to count down to. We also went souvenir shopping then found some music in a large square to listen to. There was also a really cute dog running around finding anyone willing to give it attention so I enjoyed watching that.

I enjoyed my time czeching out Prague! It was a very nice city to wander around.

Amester x

No comments:

Post a Comment