Friday 1 May 2015

A brussel sprout in Brussels

'A brussel sprout in Brussels', whats that all about I hear you shout?! Let me explain...At work I wear green & yellow, so we call ourselves brussel sprouts hahaa, and I'm currently in Brussels - so there you go :) I haven't actually seen any proper brussel sprouts here though!

The city of Brussels, the place that I went to with uni in my final year, the place that opened my eyes to the want to travel! Since then I've wanted to return, so I'm glad it became a part of my European travels 2015 :)

After a pancake breakfast in Amsterdam we boarded a 3 hour train to Brussels on Wednesday. We then found our hotel to dump our bags then went in search of food. We found a quaint little Italian restaurant with a good variety of vegetation food (Jens vegetarian) and meat dishes. Filled up, we headed around the corner to Mannekin Pis. Aptly named its a famous statue about 24 inches tall, of a boy peeing. Its surprising how something so little can bring so much attention :p We then skyped our parents/dog, then I skyped by best friend (Abbie this is the shout out you asked for :p). I then slept.

Yummy Italian food
Mannekin PiS with clothes on for once

















Thursday was the day to explore Brussels further. Alarms were set early but silly Jenny set it for the wrong day so no alarm happened meaning we overslept. Our hostel is called 'Sleep well youth hostel' - sleep well we did :) We rushed down for breakfast then caught the metro to 'little Europe' a miniature village of all things Europe. All the models are at a 1:25 ratio to its real life equivalent. I made a brief visit here on my last Brussels trip, but wanted to go again. I also knew jen would enjoy it. We saw all the famous European landmarks so now I guess we don't need to continue our European adventure :p the attention to detail here is incredible.
Little Europe model with atomium in background
In the afternoon we dodged the rain and tried to plan the next leg of our trip. Initially we planned to head from Paris to Tours in the Loire Valley and then south to Toulouse. However, on further thought we decided that Toulouse wasn't worth the long train journey and unfortunately Tours will have to bypassed as travel options out of here into our Switzerland leg of the journey is unrealistic for our timeframe :( Instead we eventually can up with a realistic plan of action - from Paris we will head to Interlaken in Switzerland. This new itinerary frees up 5 days including 2 travel days. 
Ultimately this means we can spend longer in either Germany, Austria or Czech Republic.

On the evening of Thursday we found chips and waffles for dinner while walking the city. We decided to head for a comic strip art wall; the walk turned out to last a lot longer than we anticipated, the areas we were walking though seemed to get dodgier, then darkness fell, so before we actually got to our destination we decided to turn back to our hostel. I still enjoyed the walk and we saw the untouristy backstreets of Brussels so that was good :)
Wafflesss!!!!
 Today I have visited the town of Bruges. Its such a beautiful place, made even better by the sun! A lovely long walk along the canal path lead to some windmills. We enjoyed a picnic on the canal bank also. The actual town has all cobbled streets with horse drawn carriage still very much a used transport option. Beautiful town houses and lovely squares with awesome architecture. I'm now writing this blog post on the train back to Brussels before getting another train tonight to Paris :)

Windmill
We have about 65 hours in Paris so where should we visit to utilise our limited amount of time? Also any suggestions on where to head in Germany? Please comment suggestions below, it would be appreciated :)

P.s. I'm struggling to put lots of pictures nicely within my blog posts from my tablet so make sure you click my Instagram link on the left side panel for more photos :)

Amester x

No comments:

Post a Comment