Monday 9 January 2017

2016 - The year my childhood dream became a reality!

At the end of each year I like to reflect on my year. To recap and remind myself of what I got up to. I read Louise Pentlands blog and liked the chatty monthly reflection so I have decided to adopt this approach for my 2016 roundup...

So grab a hot drink or alcoholic beverage or anything in between, because this was my 2016...

January
* 2016 was welcomed in slightly intoxicated with my best friends, at a house overlooking Gloucester which at the stroke of midnight allowed for viewing of lots of firework displays from the comfort of a warm house.
* My first achievement of the year was gaining my 1 stone weight loss through the Slimming World program.
* A mere few weeks into the year saw the return of the travelling bug resulting in the booking of a trip to Amsterdam for later in the year.
1 stone at Slimming World
February
* I decided to challenge myself to undertaking the #FMSPAD challenge for the entire month on instagram. Although I didnt manage the entire month it was nice to get creative. You can read the blog post about it here.
* The main highlight of this month was gaining promotion at work. I was excited to be given the opportunity to push myself further whilst leaving the comfort zone. It was a massive learning curve which put me into situations I wish never to be in again. I grew immensely as a person, on the whole I enjoyed it and felt I accomplished lots in the new role.
#FMSPAD Challenge
March
* This month I gained another achievement on my Slimming World journey by getting my club10 award.

April
* My sister jetted off to Bali for 3 weeks which meant I was the only child for a while. Time to get spoilt you'd think, quite the opposite infact. The parents ganged up on me as I had no-one to back me up. Maybe it is good having a sibling after all haha.
* I managed to escape the annoying rents and flew out to Amsterdam where I met up with my sis on her return from Bali. We spent a few days chiling in our cool little pod at our cityhub accommodation as well as experiencing kings day for a second year running. It was nice to get away for a short break.
Short trip to Amsterdam
May
* May was a good month! I got my inner 90s child out by seeing Busted in concert with my besties and sis. It was a really enjoyable weekend away.
* Me, my mum and our Slimming friends went against the ethos of Slimming world and went on a pub crawl. We randomly decided to wear custom t-shirts that said 'juicy fruits' and just had a good time.
* I went on a bowling social with my work friends
* I fancied a change so died my hair purple. I loved it and will definitely be dieing it this colour again in the future.
* The main highlight of my month was that I applied for my visa to Australia. I was astonished to see 40 minutes after submission that it had been approved. I remember jumping around the house hyper shouting 'i am going to Australia', my childhood dream was able to happen!
Busrted
June
* June was a month of mixed emotion. I spontaneously handed my notice in because I was fed up of how I was being treated.
* I went on a family holiday to Brean. Despite my dad being really ill it was nice to chill with the family.
* Upon return from holiday I was excited to go back to work for my final week before I left. That was until I got informed the company was going into administration, and I actually got made redundant. It was a bittersweet moment; I loved the job, the customers, and 90% of my colleagues and was there the day the shop opened. I never actually wanted to leave when I handed my notice in but for my own welbeing I knew it was the right choice. To then actually being made redundant which was out of my control really brought home how much that job meant to me. It was a weird feeling.
* I faced my fear and drove on the motorway properly for the first time since I passed my test 5 years previous. It wasn't as scary as I had anticipated it to be.
Sunset through the rain covered window on holiday
July
* I started my new job working at events and festivals around the UK. Which saw me working at TruckFest SouthWest and The New Forest Show this month
* I got swept into the Pokémon Go hype and became addicted. It's not a bad thing, it got me out walking instead of driving everywhere
* I took a trip to London with the sis
* I had the responsibility of house and cat sitting for one night.
* There was a big family meet up with extended family I hadn't seen since I was little. It was so nice to all get together
* I booked my one-way flight to Australia!!
* To celebrate booking the flights, me, mum and Jen spent 4 hours in Bristol primark, clothes shopping for Australia. For someone who doesn't normally like shopping, this was enjoyable
At Pancreas Lock in London
August
* August saw me achieve something I had been waiting to do for about a year. I finally found time to edit my European travel footage into a mini series which I posted onto my YouTube channel
* I spent my birthday going out for breakfast, lunch and dinner because I just love food
* I worked away for 3 weeks at Bristol Balloon Festival, V Festival and Reading Festival
* While at V Festival I saw Marcus Butler and Oli White. I proper fan-girled!
* An enjoyable day trip to London with my sister, Auntie and cousins. It was such a fun day!
Bristol Balloon Festival
September
* In September I had a bonfire where I burnt all my old school and uni paperwork. It felt soo good!
* As me and Jen would be in Australia for Christmas we decided to have our family Christmas on 25th September. We exchanged presents, went for a dog walk in our Christmas jumpers, and ate our Christmas curry.
Burning my old school/uni work
October
* London is one of my favourite places so I decided to visit again for the 3rd time this year. This time I went on my own. I enjoyed just wondering around, taking pictures and people watching
* The month my childhood dream became a reality! I boarded a plane to Australia!!
* Landed in Perth where we were staying until mid December.
Childhood dream of going to Australia became a reality
November
* Cycled 22km around Rottnest Island and saw lots of cute Quokkas aswel as Whales in the ocean
* Stayed in a prison cell on Halloween night
* Had an enjoyable time working for accommodation through HelpX
My prison mugshot
December
* Left Perth and traveled to Sydney
* Climbed the Sydney Harbour Bridge for my sisters 25th birthday
* Went in the pool wearing my Christmas hat on Christmas day
* Went on a road trip. (Blog post coming soon)
* Saw in 2017 watching the Sydney Fireworks
At the top of Sydney Harbour Bridge
What was your favourite thing you did in 2016?!

Amester x

No comments:

Post a Comment